Matt DeFrain is creative director for Grant Design Collaborative,
an integrated product-to-market design firm located in Canton, Georgia.
Since joining the firm in 2000, DeFrainís work has been featured in
365: AIGA, Communication Arts, STEP, Contract Magazine, GD:USA, HOW,
Interior Design, Metropolis, and Print. His honors include two IIDA Creative
Excellence Awards and Best of Show, GlobalShop 2005 for exhibit design
and Best of Show in AIGA Atlantaís SEED, the Southeast's premiere design
competition. DeFrain also served on the AIGA Miami Board of Directors from
1997 to 2000.
DeFrainís clients at Grant Design Collaborative have included Adobe Systems,
AIGA, Herman Miller, Blackberry Farm, Intuit, Monterey Carpets, Muzak, Neenah
Paper, and Kennesaw State University. Past clients include Baxter Pharmaceuticals,
Ft. Lauderdale Art Museum, Miami Art Museum, and Motorola Cycling Team.
In high school, DeFrainís juxtaposition of graphic design and fine art merited
attention from Flint, Michiganís Downtown Development Authority. Putting his
renegade graffiti to good use, the city retained DeFrain to spray paint murals
on their waterfront amphitheater. Matt went on to graduate from Western Michigan
University with a Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design.
In his spare time, you will find him working out at CrossFit Addiction.
Matt's interest in fine art began after being approached by a gallery owner
in Decatur, Georgia to participate in a group exhibit. That led to his first solo
show in 2004 at the same gallery. In 2005, Matt participated at the 4 Rivers
Art Festival where he was awarded Best New Emerging Artist.
- Award of Excellence, American Craft Council, Atlanta, Georgia
- Emerging Artist, Best in Show, 4 Rivers Arts Festival, Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Solo Art Show, "Found", Predicate Gallery, Decatur, Georgia
- Group Art Show, "Creative Being", Predicate Gallery, Decatur, Georgia
- Judge for the AIGA Cleveland and Washington D.C. Chapter's Annual Design Competition
- Judge for the Kansas City Art Directors Club Annual Show